If you’ve walked into any mall lately, chances are you’ve come across at least one display of fur vests; equal chances are you’ve muttered the sentence “How would I even wear that without looking like a Wooly mammoth ” We’re here to help!
We love fur vests for the texture they bring to an outfit, as well as the warmth they bring us in the winter. We do, however, acknowledge that adding this statement piece into your wardrobe can be difficult and that the vests themselves can be H. A. F. Fur vests, when done correctly can be worn casually and formally – it’s just a matter of understanding how to integrate this piece into your present wardrobe to achieve both of these looks. First, some basic tips:
How to not look like a Flintstone on the crack:
- Balance, is the name of the game – it should always appear as if you are wearing the fur vest and it is not wearing you.
- Let the vest be the star of the show! Statement pieces are loud by design, wearing more than one will make it appear as if you are literally wearing a screaming match. Don’t do that.
- Wear with a large bag. Fur vests are hot – both literally and figuratively. It’s wise to bring an escape plan with you – somewhere you can stash the vest once your internal temperature has reached a mild to moderate level. Additionally, once with winter hits, wearing a fur vest under your jacket will not only make you look like the Michelin man, but it’s probably not feasible for most – stowing the item in the large bag will allow you to put the vest on once you get there, and avoid overheating on the way. Smart.
- Try and choose a natural looking fur pattern with subtle colours and subdued tones, this will make integrating this piece into your wardrobe that much easier.
- Be conscious of what your outfit looks like without it. More on this later.
This is our friend Denise:
Along with being one of Libertee's favourite people ever she is also one of the many women who have purchased a fur vest, and is still trying to figure out how to integrate it into her current wardrobe! Together, Denise and Libertee came up with some looks that are adorable and easy to replicate! Watch and Learn.
Pretty like, Pebbles
Of course, when we say casual, we think jeans on the bottom, so let’s start there. We love pairing a fur vest with a classic boyfriend jean. Add a dash of color, if you’re feeling extra bold, but not too much – remember what we said about the screaming match.
We love the look of a rolled up cuff paired with a bootie and a fur vest. If you’re not too sure, what to put on your midsection, it’s hard to go wrong with a classic v-neck tee shirt or a simple print like a stripe. At this juncture, it’s honestly just a matter of trying things on. Commit some time to checking things out in your closet and you might just be surprised.
Bangin, like Bam Bam
For as much as we love this piece, casual – we can’t get enough of it a bit dressed up. The key to leaning towards the dressy end of the spectrum in a fur vest is to maintain a monochromatic look underneath it – this will not only make you look a bit more slender, but it will bring full attention to the star of the outfit, the vest.
Once again, in this situation, specifically, be mindful of what the outfit looks like without the vest, especially if you are wearing leggings. Make sure the shirt you have paired with the vest is long enough to wear with the leggings on its own – we’re calling them leggings, and not pants, on purpose – ya dig?
We’ve also paired the vest with a leather pencil skirt, and a heel. This look is one of our favourites. This is an easy way to take a classic look and modernize it with a current trend to liven up some old closet peices. If you’re going to go this route, we recommend tucking in your shirt to highlight your waist and making sure that the skirt is past your knee to make you look as long as possible.